Monday, August 5, 2013

Tutorial: Winter bases

Following a request from my gaming group, here is a tutorial for the winter bases I used in my Circle Orboros Winter themed army.


  • Materials for base without the snow: First I use actual branches: 

Fish tank rocks: 

GW sand mix: 

And Hirst Arts blocks (not indispensable but looks cool): 
  • First Step: I use PVA glue to glue the rocks, branches, broken blocks and sand: 
  • Second Step: Once the PVA is dryed, I use superglue to fasten the rocks, branches and blocks a little better. Once the superglue is dry I wash the entire base with watered down PVA glue. This helps the sand stick a lot better. 
  • Third Step: First I apply some watered down Games Workshop Scorched Brown paint on the sand and paint the branches in GW Scorched Brown: 

Once dry, I drybrush the branches with GW Bestial Brown and GW Dry Tyrant Skull (I highly recommend the GW Dry compounds for clean drybrushing). Finally I wash the branches with GW Badab Black and Devlan Mud.

The rocks are then painted in GW Foundation Adeptus Battlegrey, then drybrushed in GW Codex Grey and GW Skull White. 
  • Material for snow effect: Here is what I used to create the snow effect: 
    • White acrylic paint
    • PVA glue
    • Modeling snow

  • Fourth Step: Create a paste with snow, PVA glue, acrylic paint and water with the consistency of toothpaste: 
Then apply this paste to the base and sprinkle with modeling snow before it dries. Let it dry fully before tapping off the excess snow:


Here is the final result: 


No comments:

Post a Comment